It seems as though God has had His hand firmly on Camp Albemarle since its beginning in 1953. On their way to visit a potential site for a camp near Wilmington, a group from the Albemarle Presbytery experienced car trouble while traveling on State Road 24 near Newport. While the men repaired the car, the women decided to take a walk to see Bogue Sound. While near the water, they encountered the property owner, who, on discovering their mission, suggested that they purchase her property for their camp! After some negotiation – the property owner wanted $67,000 and the Presbytery only wanted to pay $66,000 (the owner finally made a $1,000 donation to the Presbytery so they could pay her asking price) – the property was purchased and Camp Albemarle came into being!
Camp Albemarle aims to reach out to students, youth and adults to assist them in fostering a deeper connection with our God, each other, and with the world.