Nature School – Homeschool
5 & 6 year old class
Tuesday and Thursday | 1pm to 4pm
$170 per month
7 & 8 year old class
Tuesday | 1pm to 4pm
$100 per month
9, 10 & 11 year old class
Wednesday | 1pm to 4pm
$100 per month
12, 13 & 14 year old class
Thursday | 1pm to 4pm
$100 per month
- Children must be the specified age of the class on or before August 31, 2021.
- Classes start the Tuesday after Labor Day and usually ends the third week of May.
- There is a max of 12 students for Sprouts and 14 students for Eco Explorers with 2 teachers for all classes.
- Classes are held outside in all weather elements. Students must dress appropriately for the weather.
About Our Homeschool Program
This class is geared towards homeschool families looking for a program to supplement learning at home. Critical thinking, problem solving, and teamwork in an outdoor environment are the focuses of this class. Play, outdoor exploration, and nature and science concepts are implemented in the daily activities. Sprouts class follows a daily rhythm that includes:
- Unstructured free play in the Play Den. The Play Den is home to
- the mud kitchen
- the construction zone and sandbox
- a four way teeter totter
- a hammock village
- a sensory table
- a teepee
- Group meeting
- Snack and stories
- Hikes to various areas of Camp Albemarle and may include
- climbing trees and building dens
- swinging on a tire and rope swing
- going down our pipe slide
- collecting treasures and searching for bugs
- exploring Bogue Sound on low tide days
- learning about our natural world
- Teacher led activities including but not limited to
- nature journals
- science experiments
- art exploration
- mini lessons on animals, plants and ecosystems
Enrollment information for the 2022-2023 school year coming January 2022 with registration starting in February.
Current students can register January 31st - February 4th. Siblings and alumni families can register February 7th - 11th. The general public has until 5pm on February 11th to turn in a registration form. If more registration forms are received than the number of spots available, a lottery will be held. Lottery details will be posted in January.
Why Nature School?
- From the youngest preschooler to the oldest homeschooler, our students develop lasting and meaningful relationships with each other and their teachers
- Our students are challenged and encouraged to grow and learn at their own pace
- We teach about the importance of taking care of our earth, through learning about our natural world and the living plants and animals we share it with
- Students develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning, appropriate risk-taking and leadership opportunities
- Spending time outside boosts the immune system, improves mood, increases attention spans, improves sensory skills, advances motor skills and leads to more creative play
Our homeschool classes feature:
- an emergent, child-led curriculum
- activities educating the whole-child - socially, physically, emotionally, spiritually and intellectually
- unstructured time in nature for exploring and adventuring
- an environment that encourages a child's inborn sense of wonder and curiosity to flourish
- low student to teacher ratios with teachers serving as mentors and modeling curiosity and engagement with nature