Nature School – Session Offerings
Classes that are full: 2 day, 3-day and 5-day preschool classes, Kindergarten, 1st Grade, 3rd/4th Grade, Sprouts and Eco-Explorers 9/10/11.
**We only keep a waitlist for the current school year and not for upcoming years. Check our website in January for the registration information for the 2022-2023 school year**
Preschool classes and afternoon homeschool classes run from September 7, 2021 to May 20, 2022
Kindergarten – 4th-grade classes run from August 23, 2021 to May 27, 2022
Preschool Class | 3 & 4 year old
2-day session: Tuesday and Thursday | 9 am to 12 pm | $170 per month | 3 & 4-year-old mixed class
3-day session: Monday, Wednesday and Friday | 9 am to 12 pm | $245 per month | 3 & 4-year-old mixed class
5-day session: Monday – Friday | 9 am to 12 pm | $385 per month | 4-year-old class only
*Must be 3 on or before August 31, 2021 for the 2-day and 3-day sessions and 4 for the 5-day session*
*All preschool students must have independent bathroom skills*
Our preschool program uses an emergent curriculum to allow flexibility in activities focused on the children’s natural interests, curiosities, and passions. Play is a crucial part of our program as it is a learning process that provides opportunities for cognitive, physical, social, and emotional skills guides children on problem-solving, and assists with language development. The student-to-teacher ratio is 10:2. A $100 non-refundable registration and supply fee is required at the time of enrollment.
Sprouts Class | 5 & 6 year old
Tuesday and Thursday | 1 pm to 4 pm | $170 per month
*Must be 5 on or before August 31, 2021*
Sprouts class is geared towards homeschool families looking for a program to supplement learning at home. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork in an outdoor environment are the focuses of this class. Play, outdoor exploration, and nature and science concepts are implemented in the daily activities. The student-to-teacher ratio is 12:2. A $100 non-refundable registration and supply fee is required at the time of enrollment.
7 & 8 year old class: Tuesday | 1 pm to 4 pm | $100 per month
9, 10 & 11 year old class: Wednesday | 1 pm to 4 pm | $100 per month
12, 13 & 14 year old class: Thursday | 1 pm to 4 pm | $100 per month
*Must be the age of the class on or before August 31, 2021*
Eco-Explorers is geared toward homeschool families. These classes were formally Eco-Explorers, STEM, and Creative Writing and Art. They are merging under the class name of Eco-Explorers, into once-a-week classes separated by age. Weekly projects could include aspects of nature writing and art and STEM topics, as well as emergent learning, hike, and time for free play and nature exploration. The student-to-teacher ratio is 14:2. A $100 non-refundable registration and supply fee is required at the time of enrollment.
Monday through Friday | 8:30 am to 2:30 pm | $600 per month
*Must be 5 on or before August 31, 2021 to enroll in Kindergarten*
Lower School is Nature School’s private elementary school, offering grades K-4th for the 2021-2022 school year. Max class size is 12 students. NC state standards are met through a progressive, integrated and experiential curriculum that covers all academic subjects while nurturing the unique skills and abilities of each student and providing time for them to learn at their own pace. Our approach is rooted in daily nature immersion, capturing students’ inborn curiosity about the natural world to foster deep connections to God, nature, and each other. Lower School will have access to an indoor space but class will take place predominantly outside. A $200 non-refundable registration and supply fee is required at the time of enrollment. Once a spot is confirmed as available, families have 1 month to complete the interview process. See the FAQ page on the website for more information on the interview process.
Enrollment Process for the 2021-2022 School Year
The lottery process has passed. Registration is now first come first serve. Forms and fees need to be mailed or dropped off at the camp office.
Click here for the registration form.
- Students currently enrolled in our program may register between January 26th and February 5th.
- Siblings of currently enrolled students, alumni students, siblings of alumni students, and children of Camp Albemarle Staff may register between February 8th and February 12th.
- The public has between January 12th and February 17th at 5 pm to turn in a registration form which will be entered in the registration lottery.
- No e-mail registration forms will be accepted. Forms may be turned in or mailed to Nature School, 156 Albemarle Drive, Newport, NC 28570.
- The Nature School at Camp Albemarle Lottery will take place on Thursday, February 18th at 10 am.
- All registration forms received from the public on or before February 17th will be eligible for the lottery drawing. All applications received on February 18th or after will be enrolled on a first come first serve basis or placed on the waitlist if the class is full, in the order, they are received.
- At least one member of the community (who is not staff, a Board member, or relative of students at Nature School) will be present at the lottery to make sure that all procedures are conducted fairly and accurately.
- Each registration form from the public will receive a number. Numbers will be pulled one at a time and the student will be placed in the desired class. If the class is full, the student will be placed on the waitlist.
- Parents will be notified within one week of the lottery of their child’s placement in the program. Upon notification:
- Parents of a preschool student or homeschool student will have one week to turn in the non-refundable registration and supply fee. These families will also need to schedule a tour if they have not already toured the school. This is to ensure that the family has a good understanding of our program.
- Parents of a lower grades student (K-4th) will have one month to complete an interview. The interview process is not to turn a family away, but to be sure that our approach and school is a good fit for the family. We want the family to have a solid understanding of how their child will be learning and that it will look quite different. This also gives families an opportunity to ask any questions they may have. Families will have one week from the completed interview to turn in the non-refundable registration and supply fee.
- This registration process is the same for all classes including Preschool, Homeschool, and Private School classes.
- Students must meet the age requirement by August 31st of the upcoming school year. Age requirements will be specified on the registration form.
Questions about the 2021-2022 registration process? Please click the button below.